Pages

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Wayne Rooney named Manchester United captain by Louis van Gaal

Van Gaal names Wayne Rooney as new Manchester United captain
WAYNE ROONEY has been named as the new captain of Manchester United.
Louis van Gaal has chosen the England striker as his new skipper with Darren Fletcher named as vice-captain.

Van Gaal cited Rooney’s attitude during pre-season as the reason for his appointment.
“Wayne has shown a great attitude towards everything he does,” said Van Gaal.
“I have been very impressed by his professionalism and his attitude to training and to my philosophy.
“He is a great inspiration to the younger members of the team and I believe he will put his heart and soul into his captaincy role.”
Rooney said: “It is a huge honour for me, and for my family, to be named captain of this great club.
“It is a role I will perform with great pride. Team spirit has always been very high in our dressing room and I am very grateful to the manager for the faith he has shown in me.
“I look forward to leading the team out on Saturday at our first match of the new season.”
Rooney is also expected to be named as England captain by Roy Hodgson following the retirement of Steven Gerrard from international football.
(express)

No comments:

Post a Comment